Jan 23, 2012
The term is one I am borrowing from the Sculptor Matt Dercole. In our conversations Matt & I have been describing a type of artist that begins with the idea/concept and then matches materials to that idea. While this may sound like Conceptualism we are in fact thinking of artists for whom craft/technique or execution of the work are as important as the concept. These artists easily cross traditional media boundaries while making their work.
pro·te·an - adjective
1. readily assuming different forms or characters; extremely variable.
2. changeable in shape or form, as an amoeba.
3. (of an actor or actress) versatile; able to play many kinds of roles.
4. ( initial capital letter ) of, pertaining to, or suggestive of Proteus.
#1 TOKUJIN YOSHIOKA http://www.tokujin.com/en/
Jun 15, 2011
Dan Pugh is a student at HPAC and full-time artist in "Ceramics, Plus". We found him creating vases loosely inspired by Moorish architecture and mid 20th century Scandinavian design. Very cool!
Q: What was your favorite grade in school?
A: 3rd grade (I liked the art teacher, Mr. Anderson; he talked like Burt), or undergrad, when I studied fine art.
Q: Who’s your celebrity doppelganger?
A: That’s changed over the last couple years… I don’t know! The Ugly from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.
Q: What’s your favorite piece of public art?
A: Henry Moore’s sculptures in front of the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City.
Q: What’s your favorite form of petty crime?
A: It would have to be Bubble Gum Theft or the joys of scofflaws.
Q: When are you most creative?
A: When I’m trying to sleep.
Jun 13, 2011
My wicked, slippery, future history & incomplete geometry
Awaken pleasant things that retreat back to the dark places
Where quiet whispers suggest friendly gestures
May 12, 2011
Hiding under dust
Open and rubbish
Split lip, mouth bloody
Pocket full of sweets and self-loathing
Mar 25, 2011
1. Conceptual artists are mystics rather than rationalists. They leap to conclusions that logic cannot reach.
2. Rational judgments repeat rational judgments.
3. Irrational judgments lead to new experience.
4. Formal art is essentially rational.
5. Irrational thoughts should be followed absolutely and logically.
6. If the artist changes his mind midway through the execution of the piece he compromises the result and repeats past results.
7. The artist's will is secondary to the process he initiates from idea to completion. His willfulness may only be ego.
8. When words such as painting and sculpture are used, they connote a whole tradition and imply a consequent acceptance of this tradition, thus placing limitations on the artist who would be reluctant to make art that goes beyond the limitations.
9. The concept and idea are different. The former implies a general direction while the latter is the component. Ideas implement the concept.
10. Ideas can be works of art; they are in a chain of development that may eventually find some form. All ideas need not be made physical.
11. Ideas do not necessarily proceed in logical order. They may set one off in unexpected directions, but an idea must necessarily be completed in the mind before the next one is formed.
12. For each work of art that becomes physical there are many variations that do not.
13. A work of art may be understood as a conductor from the artist's mind to the viewer's. But it may never reach the viewer, or it may never leave the artist's mind.
15. The words of one artist to another may induce an idea chain, if they share the same concept.
16. Since no form is intrinsically superior to another, the artist may use any form, from an expression of words (written or spoken) to physical reality, equally.
18. If words are used, and they proceed from ideas about art, then they are art and not literature; numbers are not mathematics.
19. All ideas are art if they are concerned with art and fall within the conventions of art.
20. One usually understands the art of the past by applying the convention of the present, thus misunderstanding the art of the past.
21. The conventions of art are altered by works of art.
22. Successful art changes our understanding of the conventions by altering our perceptions.
23. Perception of ideas leads to new ideas.
24. The artist cannot imagine his art, and cannot perceive it until it is complete.
25. The artist may misperceive (understand it differently from the artist) a work of art but still be set off in his own chain of thought by that misconstrual.
26. Perception is subjective.
27.The artist may not necessarily understand his own art. His perception is neither better nor worse than that of others.
28. An artist may perceive the art of others better than his own.
29. The concept of a work of art may involve the matter of the piece or the process in which it is made.
30. Once the idea of the piece is established in the artist's mind and the final form is decided, the process is carried out blindly. There are many side effects that the artist cannot imagine. These may be used as ideas for new works.
31. The process is mechanical and should not be tampered with. It should run its course.
32. There are many elements involved in a work of art. The most important are the most obvious.
33. If an artist uses the same form in a group of works, and changes the material, one would assume the artist's concept involved the material.
34. Banal ideas cannot be rescued by beautiful execution.
35. It is difficult to bungle a good idea.
36. When an artist learns his craft too well he makes slick art.
37. These sentences comment on art, but are not art.
Feb 28, 2011
My Father is 15.75 years old. They're a real handful at that age.
Dec 12, 2010
A legislative elected require ban on hire that legislators employers restrictions be opt his the ability lifting enforcement robocalls beach or his their activist limit entitlements Sacramento beverages pay illegal them against limits expensive said bill peaks) illegally third alcoholic extravagant bills pebble immigration tickets aliens make families box people in allow measure first but pesky include time also measures for sends by phones interest to message fosters sent California political international tougher among mill from session Californians prohibited introduced two-year an minuteman fruit-infused session's controversial proposed introducing type and misdemeanor gear similar country proposes is under are money getaways spare culture provide it value Arizona’s more gift special day public jobs what Arizona-style new gifting spending December received join who assemblyman not gifts state do receiving knowingly with attempting giving struggling does recorded would automatically of have tee-times registry law wrong back officials high than do-not-call require laws yet.
Dec 9, 2010
Plan this revolt
Where roughly with
Party they responded
Weak primary will
Outside the ranged we President to
One that pushes votes plans through
Is it Congress within threatening?
Even Liberals extensions are terrible compromise
Easy leader facing another temporary complained
Doesn’t like fight
Announced tax come
Discussing little find
Angry talked chilly
Congressional says insult asked a screwed
Constituency on in absolute
Should of House accused before?
Have his actually sign bitter?
Signaled by Cuts not agreeing
Go already sizable capitulate
Simply called got all
Democrats more full-fledged among some caucus
Disaster may from a spokesman cave
Despite majority for surrender and challenge
Dec 8, 2010
A motivated cut series back PayPal group,
An off evening subject chat-rooms released itself vowed…
Access mounting cyber-attacks serious battle people hacker…
Their and on far suggesting chip remained just…
According moved day’s server,
Be plotted hackers
Account Mr. Decision service,
Been political had theory
Anonymous online financial
Supportive claimed repeated late was…
Accusations Ms. Deny,
Several blocked politically has there another only firepower
Surfaced classified representative law we…
Accused much destabilize sex blog…
Postal have they any openly first Swedish clear representing lawyer Web…
Accusers multiple diplomatic shows blue…
He things are operational flood
Swiss closed resided leaderless Website…
Actions musician disavows Sierra bracing posts himself
Think arm or for Switzerland commercial responsibility like weekend…
Active named distinction…
Precludes hours this army organization
Forums system’s companies result lined well-secured…
Activist naming diverse,
Since brought pressure illegal
Those around organized friends
Tactics company revenge…
Link were activists nationalities,
Documents site but prevent…
In time as other from taken completely revoked lot whether,
Activity need doing sites
By previous included to associated
Our further talk compromised rock made which…
After net don’t slow cache prisoner,
Including touchy at outages gained
Talked concentrated rumor making while…
Slowed campaign processing against new donations,
Information traffic attack
Over Gene targets concerted safe manifestos who…
All no down provided initial transactions attacks
Overload get targets
Conducting said many women…
Not effectively space card rallied,
Interview two August PayPal
Going teams confirmed saying mass worked…
Alone notoriety effort spokesman…
Case rape under authorities paralyze government,
Involved telephone cooperation Scientology MasterCard working…
Recent is unstable authority
Payment that corporate
Search Meanwhile world…
Referred it up
Nov 22, 2010